Partner, Jérôme Barré leads our wealth management and family office capability.
Jérôme is one of the most widely-known and experienced private client practitioners in France. He brings the benefits of his unique background as the former Head of Legal & Tax Counsel for major insurers and banks to his work in private practice. Jérôme represents the domestic and cross-border interests of shareholders, corporate officers and directors and private clients. His work focuses on restructuring family-owned businesses and groups, inheritance and gift tax planning, estate administration, tax deficiency procedures and tax litigation. Jérôme also lectures in several Master’s degree programmes at prestigious Paris universities and business schools.
- Best Lawyers 2020: Jérôme Barré is listed in the Tax Law section.
- Who’s Who Legal France 2019: Jérôme Barré is an impressive private client practitioner with extensive experience in tax and estate matters. He is particularly noted as being “very good on domestic matters“.
- Chambers HNW 2019: band 1 – Franklin has long focused on representing high net worth individuals in tax matters. It is particularly well known for tax investigations and litigation matters, and sources often highlight its senior practitioners for their ability to negotiate effectively with the tax authorities. Franklin also handles non-contentious mandates and is noted for its expertise in trusts matters. One international source says it is a “very highly qualified firm,” adding that “he team are all technically very good,” and stating that “they are probably the go-to private client lawyers in France; if I have a private client issue, I go to them.” Another praises the Franklin team’s “very good interpersonal skills” and reports that “they always put the interests and concerns of the clients first.“
French interviewees and international sources agree that Jérome Barré is “one of the best lawyers in Paris for taxation.” Barré leads the tax team at Franklin, and has significant expertise in tax litigation, audits and investigations matters, as well as advising clients on non-contentious tax issues. He is also an expert in trusts law, both for French clients with trusts abroad and for international clients who are subject to French taxation, and is well known for his impressive facility for negotiation with the tax authorities. Barré is “known for his contacts, and that’s very important” says one international lawyer, explaining: “We had important negotiations with the tax administration, and we made significant progress due to the fact that Jérome negotiated. If not we would have had been in proceedings for, I don’t know, many years.”
- Legal 500 2019: leading individual & Hall of Fame (Private client) Franklin’s “very professional and competent” team is praised for its “impressive turn-around times”. […] The firm also houses a highly regarded wealth tax management practice, with Jérôme Barré the key name in this space.
- Leaders League 2019: Recognized expertise in Advising management teams (recommended).
- Leaders League’s Wealth & Performance Summit 2019: Gold award for “Best Wealth Management Lawyer”
- Chambers 2018: band 1 – Notable practitioners – Jérome Barré “is a leading lawyer in this area” notes a client. “He has an incredible knowledge of tax and is very available, responsive and creative. We are very happy with him”. He regularly handles high-value tax planning for families with personal and business assets in multiple jurisdictions. He is regarded as “straightforward, very business-minded and precise“ with one source saying: “He is dedicated to his clients and always at their service”. Another sums up that “he is very good; as the French say – he is épique”.
- Leaders League 2018: Recognized expertise in Wealth tax (leading), Tax litigation and readjustment assistance (highly recommended) and Wealth tax: regulation and litigation (leading).
- Legal 500 2018: leading individual (Private client). – “The firm also has top expertise in patrimonial tax through Jérôme Barré, who is a leading name in his field”.
- Who’s Who Legal France 2018: “Jérôme Barré is a first-rate practitioner recognised for his wealth of experience handling family business restructuring and succession planning”.
- University of Paris V Malakoff : postgraduate degree (D.E.S.S.) in Applied Tax
- University of Paris I Panthéon Sorbonne : postgraduate degree (D.E.S.S.) in Business and Tax Law
- University of Paris II Panthéon Assas : B.A. (Maîtrise) in Business Law