Franklin offers an experienced and innovative competition and distribution law team, providing transactional and litigation services for French and overseas corporations.
We handle every aspect of merger control proceedings before the French Competition Authority and the European Commission, bringing to bear deep cross-border expertise and working with local lawyers on international cases. Our team is known for its strength in handling the most complex cases. We also represent clients before the French and European courts in matters involving cartels, abuses of a dominant position, restrictive trade practices and distribution law issues. Our team also offers longstanding experience in handling State aid matters. We develop risk management strategies to a global standard, and provide tailored compliance counsel through standalone compliance programmes and on an on-going advisory basis.
We accompany our clients from deal structuring through every key stage of the merger process, assisting with “controllability” reviews; handling notifications, negotiating and monitoring commitments; and leading work in any potential appeals.
We assist plaintiffs or defendants in proceedings involving cartels and abuses of a dominant position before the French and European courts. We also assist with private enforcement actions.
We help clients assess the legality of state aid, guide them through the European Commission’s notification process, and represent them in EU-wide State aid litigation.
We advise clients on structuring and protecting distribution networks for their products or services and on dealing with restrictive trade practices. We also offer deep experience in handling contentious cases in this field.
We assist clients with the full range of business-critical risk management issues. Our experienced team provides strategic and legal counsel, developing competition law compliance programmes which are individually tailored to the specific needs of each client. We offer a strong cross-practice capability, combining global-standard competition law compliance counsel with the skills of our employment law and data protection teams.
- Julie Catala Marty “oversees a substantial caseload providing contentious and regulatory advice with a strong focus on the telecommunications arena. She also assists with competition compliance audits, merger control and state aid matters. Interviewees commend her for her incredible work ethic, deep knowledge of the sector and extreme rigour in her analysis” (Chambers Europe 2019 / Competition – European Law).
- Julie Catala-Marty is “pragmatic, friendly and available lawyer” who demonstrates “impressive” pleading skills and is “very valuable in a litigation situation”. She is particularly active in representing prominent clients in contentious competition matters and is noted for her expertise in the telecoms sector (Chambers Europe 2018 / Competition – European Law).
- “Franklin’s team is headed by Julie Catala-Marty, who represents clients in highly regulated sectors such as telecoms, energy and natural resources, and financial services, and cooperates closely with the firm’s regulatory and public law departments. In recent highlights, Catala-Marty advised on numerous investigations arising from cartel allegations and ‘gun-jumping’ practices, and assisted a longstanding client in the telecoms sectors with competition issues related to its acquisition of a foreign company and its call centre subsidiaries. The team is also present in the aviation space and recently assisted a French airline operator with the implementation of code-sharing agreements and grouped purchases with a competitor” (Legal 500 EMEA, Competition and Distribution Law 2018).
- “Julie Catala Marty is a favourite among clients who appreciate her “efficiency and ability to offer effective solutions” and describe her as “a pleasure to work with” on competition-related matters”. She is an expert in the full spectrum of French and European competition law matters and is widely recognised for her “excellent expertise in the media sector” (Who’s Who Legal 2018).
- The “very efficient” team at Franklin has “high-level expertise”, combining “technical analysis and creative and practical solutions”. Current mandates include sensitive merger work in the telecoms sector. The practice is also active in several high-profile antitrust and cartel cases. Clients include large French corporations and international groups. Julie Catala-Marty provides “innovative and tailor-made solutions”, producing “finely designed strategies to deal with the authorities” (Legal 500 EMEA, Competition and Distribution Law 2017).