Our Restructuring - Corporate Recovery - Distressed M&A department is a full-service practice offering clients assistance, advice and representation in heading off and turning around financial difficulties and, if necessary, in selling their business.
Our department assists clients every step of the way, from pre-insolvency (non-contentious proceedings: mediation, administration) to formal insolvency proceedings (court-supervised recovery proceedings and court-ordered liquidation). We take a pragmatic approach to restructuring assignments and are ideally positioned to advise on all labor, corporate and financial issues facing distressed businesses.
Acquisitions of struggling or insolvent targets providing a strategic opportunity for growth for our clients (conducting acquisition due diligence of assets in administration, drafting bids, liaising with the relevant authorities, etc.).
Restructuring of companies in pre-insolvency or insolvency proceedings (bank, payroll and tax debt refinancing; creditor group management; debt swap mechanisms; new money arrangements; staff reorganization; etc.) and shareholder disputes.
Full range of legal services to companies in recovery and/or insolvency proceedings (mediation/administration, court-supervised recovery or liquidation, etc.).
- Legal 500 EMEA 2023 – Restructuring is categorized under Insolvency.
Franklin is regularly retained by clients investing in distressed companies, but also covers the whole spectrum of work in this area. The team was recently involved in a complex asset takeover deal in the NGL sector. It also regularly assists debtors, with recent work including managing a significant case in the retail sector. The practice also handles work for other stakeholders such as banks and commercial partners. Numa Rengot leads the practice, which also includes Arnaud Pédron.
‘Responsiveness ; good knowledge of the public sphere’.
‘Great responsiveness, pragmatism’.
‘The team knows how to offer us strategic approaches in cases that make the difference. The team has an important network of influence that can win cases.’
‘Numa Rengot is a real strategist. He knows how to advise us on the best strategies to adopt and perfectly masters their implementation. He also knows how to stop us or say no to us when necessary to preserve our interests. He technically masters many subjects, allowing a quick and efficient implementation.’
- Leaders League 2023: Recognized in Restructuring & insolvency – Advising mid-cap companies and their shareholders (Leading)
- Option Droit & Affaires Restructuring 2023 – Recognized in “Insolvency procedures” (3 stars) and “Financial difficulties and debt renegotiation” (3 stars).
- Leaders League 2022: Recognized in the categories Distressed M&A (Excellent) and Operations worth between €75m & €500m (Excellent) of the Mergers & Acquisitions Guide
- GRR 100 2022
- Legal 500 EMEA 2022 – Restructuring is categorized under Insolvency.
Franklin launched its practice in January 2020 with the hire of Numa Rengot from Aston who has since wasted no time growing the practice by adding new associates and a second partner in Arnaud Pédron who joined from Deloitte | Taj later that year. The highly dynamic team now handles a large caseload and excels at dealing with atypical matters, managing all types of issues from corporate governance to corporate investment and insolvency proceedings. It is regularly retained by management teams and has strong experience in assisting clients with investing in distressed companies. The practice is particularly active in the aeronautics sector where it recently worked on a major case. Another recent stand-out matter came from the retail sector.
- Option Droit & Affaires Restructuring 2022 – Recognized in “Insolvency procedures” and “Financial difficulties and debt renegotiation”.
- Leaders League 2022 – Recognized expertise in Restructuring & insolvency – Advising mid-cap companies and their shareholders (Excellent – 1)
- GRR 100 2021
- Option Droit & Affaires Restructuring 2021 – Recognized in “Insolvency procedures” and “Financial difficulties and debt renegotiation”.
- Leaders League 2021 – Recognized expertise in Restructuring & insolvency – Advising mid-cap companies and their shareholders (Excellent)