Distressed acquisition opportunities – September 2023
Franklin’s Restructuring team has assembled its latest sector-by-sector list of distressed acquisition opportunities.
The targets are companies in insolvency proceedings that are now up for sale and for which tender offers have been made by the court-appointed trustees in charge of finding potential buyers.
Our sector-by-sector updates are designed to help clients quickly identify potential build-up opportunities.
Tender offer periods are very often extended beyond the deadlines specified in the list.
This court-sanctioned sale process offers an opportunity to buy:
- Fast: in a few weeks
- Directly or through a NewCo
- After limited due diligence (i.e., limited to the scope of the acquisition)
- At lower prices than out-of-court acquisitions: the real cost consists in financing the acquired operation
- Free and clear of debt, with only a few exceptions (no successor liability – lien and encumbrance free)
- Without liability for restructuring costs
- A turnkey, autonomous business unit
- “Cherry picked” assets (number of employees, tangible and intangible assets, as well as rental, finance lease, distribution, purchase, and service agreements necessary for the continued operation of the business).