Franklin’s Real Estate practice offers its clients the sheer range of skills required to handle the most complex issues.
With 28 lawyers, including 7 partners, Franklin’s Real Estate Practice is one of the largest, most seasoned and creative real estate practices in Paris. We advise our clients on all legal and tax aspects of their real estate transactions, from acquisition, development and leasing to executing complex, structured transactions involving portfolios of companies or the financing, restructuring and creation of regulated or unregulated investment funds. Our expertise spans all types of properties.
Our team leads work on the full range of transactions linked to the acquisition or sale of real estate assets. This includes auditing, leading negotiations, drafting agreements, deal structuring and more. We also offer experience in the establishment of partnerships and other partner-linked structures. Henry Ranchon – François Verdot – Christine Daric – Olivier Mesmin
We advise investors, developers or users in the negotiation and drafting of all types of leases, including leases for future completion, linked real estate assets. We also assist asset managers in the management and development of their real estate investments. Henry Ranchon – François Verdot – Jérémy Chiche
We lead work for lenders, sponsors and borrowers in the structuring, implementation, negotiation and drafting of the full range of real estate financing structures, including bond issuances. We also provide strategic and legal counsel on all of the tax aspects of these mandates. David Blondel – Henry Ranchon
We provide counsel on the legal and tax structuring of French or overseas real estate transactions, including the structuring of regulated entities. We provide strategic guidance on cash flow and financial modeling throughout the restructuring process, including advising on contributions; mergers; obtaining tax approvals; and more. Christine Daric – Olivier Mesmin – Henry Ranchon
We lead work for managers and investors in the structuring, management and marketing of their real estate investment funds. Our experience includes OPCI, SCPI, FPCI and SIIC structures. We also assist management companies in complying with the full range of regulatory issues, including approvals, organisation and passports. Christine Daric – Olivier Mesmin– Stéphanie Alexandrino – Henry Ranchon
We offer a market-leading real estate tax and real estate tax litigation capability. We handle the full range of general taxation and real estate tax matters. We offer high-level counsel for clients in the context of their dealings with the tax authorities, including tax audits, rectification requests and/or tax litigation. Christine Daric – Olivier Mesmin
We assist promoters and investors at all stages of the real estate development process. We lead work in the full range of agreements including CPI, VEFA, MOD, BEFA, project management assistance, project management contracts, company contracts and more. We also advise on the tax aspects of these projects. Henry Ranchon – François Verdot – Jérémy Chiche – Christine Daric – Olivier Mesmin
Chambers Europe 2019 – Strengths: Clients laud the firm’s efficiency, highlighting that the team’s members are “super reactive and have an impressive execution ability”. Another client praises the lawyers’ “commitment, clarity and interpersonal skills”. What the team is known for: Active on real estate finance, development, mergers and acquisitions and leasing transactions. Represents both French and international clients in real estate activities in France. Enjoys a close co-operation with the firm’s tax department. Covers a broad range of assets including offices, hotels, retail and logistics. Work highlights: Acted for Goldman Sachs on the French aspects of the acquisition of a pan-European office portfolio. Henry Ranchon acts on a wide array of real estate matters, including portfolio management and the creation of real estate funds. He assists asset managers, investment funds and banks with real estate investment and financing operations. Interviewees characterise him as “extremely knowledgeable, user-friendly and proactive”.
- Henry Ranchon et François Verdot are individually ranked in the US directory Best Lawyers 2019.
- Chambers Europe 2018 – What the team is known for: Active on real estate finance, development, mergers and acquisitions and leasing transactions. Represents both French and international clients in real estate activities in France. Enjoys a close co-operation with the firm’s litigation department – Notable practitioners: Henry Ranchon practises across all areas of real estate law, including real estate acquisitions, development, leases and disposals. One commentator states: “He has a good reputation in the real estate industry”. – On Real Estate Tax: Christine Daric of Franklin is praised for her communication skills, with one interviewee commenting: “She really sees who she is talking to and she adjusts and makes technical discourse understandable for business people”. She has a wealth of experience in the tax aspects of real estate transactions, including in the hospitality sector. Olivier Mesmin of Franklin advises on the tax planning and structuring of real estate investments. He is particularly well versed in legislation concerning French REITs, and his clientele comprises both domestic and international names.
- Legal 500 2018: Franklin has a large team of some 18 lawyers who provide a comprehensive range of expertise including property investment, leasing, financing and tax expertise. The firm regularly represents leading international investors and recently advised on several high-profile office building and asset portfolio acquisitions; however, the practice also acts for major French banks and assists leading asset managers and high-end users with lease negotiations. Henry Ranchon and François Verdot are the key names. David Blondel is the key contact for financing, while the recent hiring of Olivier Mesmin and Christine Daric […] in 2017 added state-of-the-art property tax expertise to the team. Jérémy Chiche made partner.
- Who’s Who Legal 2018 : “Henry Ranchon is recommended for his impressive work on real estate investment and development. He frequently advises on commercial and residential acquisitions including shopping centres, warehouses, hotels and healthcare facilities”. – “Olivier Mesmin is a well established name when it comes to real estate taxation in the French market. He advises both national and international clients on transactional aspects including investment structuring and tax planning”.
- Gold Award for “Real Estate Transactions” – Leaders League 2018.
- Leaders League 2018 Real Estate rankings: Real Estate Tax (Leading), Real Estate Investment (Excellent), Real Estate Financing (Highly Recommended), Business Lease (Excellent), Litigation of Real Estate Sales (Excellent), Property development (Highly Recommended).