Partner, Jérôme Michel heads up our Public Sector Law – Regulatory and Energy practices.
Jérôme advises public and private sector companies on public contracts, procurement and general public law, and represents them in administrative litigation. He routinely advises on competition law issues, sales of state-owned equity interests and privatizations. He has specialist expertise in regulated industry sectors such as telecoms and energy.
- Jérôme Michel is individually ranked in Energy Law in the US directory Best Lawyers 2020.
- Legal 500 2020 : Headed by Jérôme Michel, Franklin’s team focuses on tackling regulatory work, while increasingly advising on public sector contracts and litigation arising from them. The team also assists clients with public domain, urban planning and environment law, especially clients from the real estate and renewables sectors. The practice advises public and private sector companies, including international ones.
“Jérôme Michel is involved, responsive and very proficient.”
- Leaders League 2019: Recognized expertise in Energy: market regulation (Excellent), Market regulation / Regulatory (Excellent), Project Finance (banks) (Excellent), Administrative contracts and related litigation (Highly recommended), Urban commercial planning (Highly recommended), Public business law – Public domain (Recommended), Urbanisme et aménagement (Recommended)
- Legal 500 2019:
- Administrative and Public law: Franklin has strong regulatory expertise, and is notably assisting key clients in dealing with high-stakes regulatory disputes in the telecoms and energy sectors. The firm is also advising a high-profile French company, several major financial institutions and a number of property developers on public procurement, construction, public domain rights and urban law issues. SFR and Enedis are clients. Jérôme Michel leads the practice.
- Energy: Franklin dispose d’une solide expertise réglementaire. Le cabinet est en charge de plusieurs procédures très stratégiques pour un acteur clé du marché. Il conseille aussi des investisseurs et des entreprises, tels qu’Apex Energies, Arkolia Energies, Fonroche et Valeco, dans le cadre de leurs projets dans le secteur des énergies renouvelables, principalement en France. La pratique est codirigée par l’avocat publiciste Jérôme Michel.
- Telecoms: The IT team at Franklin recently acted for major corporates on the negotiation of IT procurement contracts with leading technology companies and service providers, while maintaining its strong presence in the telecoms space. A cross-disciplinary team including Jérôme Michel, […] [and other partners] advised a longstanding client in the telecoms space on a number of matters, including a major restructuring of its media content division, merger filings and a number of asset disposals.
- Legal 500 2018:
- Administrative and Public law: Franklin is handling several high-stakes regulatory and public law disputes for key client SFR. Other work includes acting for a telecoms operator in various disputes, including representing it in its dealings with the telecoms regulator, handling a major state aid dispute and acting for the client in another case dealing with fibre infrastructure issues. The practice is also involved in litigation in the electricity sector and handles public procurement matters. Jérôme Michel heads the team.
- Energy: Franklin advises on several strategic regulatory and public contract matters in the electricity sector. The firm also advises lenders and investors in connection with the development of wind and solar projects in France […] Jérôme Michel (is) the main contact.
- Telecoms: Franklin has an established presence in the telecoms space where it provides advice on corporate transactions, competition law, public law and dispute resolution, as well as on digitalisation projects, software development and telecom infrastructure rollout programmes to corporate and private equity clients. […] Also notable is regulatory expert Jérôme Michel […].
- Leaders League 2018: Recognized expertise in Public domain (recommended), Urban commercial planning (highly recommended) and Market regulation (excellent).
- Legal 500 2017: Recommended in Administrative and Public Law.
- Legal 500 2016: “Franklin has extensive regulatory expertise. The three-lawyer team led by Jérôme Michel advises leading French groups like Numericable-SFR, which they have represented in France’s highest administrative court (Conseil d’Etat) in the wake of a decision of the French Competition Authority on pay television”.
- University of Paris II Panthéon-Assas : B.A. (Maîtrise) in business and tax law
- Paris Institute of Political Studies, 1985