Our Labor and Employment Law department advises and represents French and international entities on the full gamut of employment and labor law issues, as well as social security matters.
We bring clients the benefits of deep experience in handling HR management issues arising from corporate reorganizations and employee transfers, or in dealing with employee representatives. We work closely with the firm’s Corporate Finance, M&A and Restructuring departments, and with a select network of partner firms to provide clients with the expertise of the best law firms abroad to handle cross-border matters. In addition, we handle the full range of labor and employment disputes, including before the criminal and social security courts and in arbitration.
Whatever the mandate, our Labor and Employment team is deeply committed to serving clients with flexibility, attentiveness and responsiveness.
Rightsizing and downsizing plans, layoffs, collective employment termination agreements, strategic workforce planning.
Labor and employment audits, collective consultation, expert investigations, harmonization of collective bargaining agreements, employee transfers.
Mandatory collective bargaining, working time arrangements (flextime, right to disconnect, telecommuting, wages, incentive compensation).
Code of ethics, best practices and whistleblowing policies, handling of workplace bullying and sexual harassment issues, GDPR, personal data (fraud).
Structuring of executive compensation plans, ESOP, employee savings plans, negotiation of executive compensation and severance packages in the context of LBOs, employee secondment / international assignments.
Establishment of retirement, disability and death benefit plans, management of occupational injuries/illnesses and social security tax rates.
- Legal 500 EMEA 2023 : Our department is recognized in Employment.
Franklin has an experienced team, which is regularly instructed by large French and international companies including names in the aviation and telecoms sectors. The team provides the whole range of assistance to clients including dealing with the employment aspects of M&A deals, downsizings and restructuring projects as well as handling litigation. The team also regularly assists clients with compliance work and managing crisis situations such as moral and sexual harassment situations. The practice is co-headed by Patrick Thiébart and Myriam de Gaudusson.
Testimonials: ‘Good skills and expertise, availability, interpersonal skills.’
- Chambers Europe 2023 : What the team is known for: Franklin operates an established practice group offering experience in employment issues arising from harassment claims and corporate restructurings, including mass redundancy. The team advises on senior executive departures and working time policies, as well as acting on employment disputes. The firm’s clients stem from a range of industries including technology, travel and automotive.
Strengths: “The Franklin team are very attentive. When there is an urgent matter, the lawyers move mountains to address the concerns.“
- Option Droit & Affaires 2022 : Category “PSE and related collective litigations” of the Restructuring ranking
- Leaders League 2022 :
- Collective bargaining and social relations: Excellent
- High-risk individual litigation: Excellent
- Social management of M&As and social audits: Excellent
- Reorganizations, socials programs, and related litigation: Excellent
- Social compliance: Highly recommended
- Social security: Highly recommended
- Additional social protection: Highly recommended
- Collective and individual compensation: Recommended
- Mobility and expatriation: Recommended
- Representation of senior executives: Recommended
- Legal 500 EMEA 2022 : Employment
‘High-level of competence, approach, flexibility, support, speed, attention to details, patience and advice have been the qualities demonstrated along the entire process.’
‘The firm supported our group on a strategic and impactful social project, in the context of a particular situation of an urgent nature. The teams have shown great responsiveness and adaptability, while providing us with very high-quality legal and operational advice. Their expertise and perfect knowledge of our business sector have enabled us to complete this complex project, all while preserving the interests of our group.’
‘All the people who accompanied us on the employment aspect of the project have shown great professionalism. Beyond their knowledge and skills in their areas of expertise, of which the plurality within the teams constitutes a real asset, they are distinguished by qualities of responsiveness, adaptability, but also human qualities and the ability to listen.’
‘High quality of solutions provided to complicated labour law issues.’
- Chambers Europe 2022 : What the team is known for: Franklin operates an established practice group offering experience in employment issues arising from harassment claims and corporate restructurings, including mass redundancy. The team advises on senior executive departures and working time policies, as well as acting on employment disputes. The firm’s clients stem from a range of industries, including technology, travel and automotive.
Strengths: Clients describe the lawyers as “creative in the solutions they provided,” further appreciating the network at the firm’s disposal.
- Legal 500 2021 : The team advises a prominent client base and is already managing a high amount of strategic restructuring projects, including workforce downsizing projects involving several hundreds of employees and site closures. In addition, the practice also offers strong know-how in dealing with sensitive individual litigation, notably in relation to high-level executives, discrimination and sexual harassment files. Compliance advice and remote working issues in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic are also offered.
‘Patrick Thiébart shows great responsiveness and provides superb practical advice.’
‘Myriam de Gaudusson provides remarkable support and keeps her clients well updated.’
- Best Lawyers 2021 : Patrick Thiébart and Myriam de Gaudusson
- Chambers 2021 : What the team is known for: Established practice group offering experience in employment issues arising from harassment claims and corporate restructurings, including mass redundancy. Advises on senior executive departures and working time policies. Also acts on employment disputes. Clients stem from a range of industries, including technology, travel and automotive.
Patrick Thiébart “always acted swiftly and has great knowledge of the French employment legislation,”reports one client. He has a wealth of experience in employment litigations relating to conflict with trade unions, collective terminations and harassment claims.”
- Option Droit & Affaires 2021 : Category “PSE and related collective litigations” of the Restructuring ranking
- Leaders League 2021 :
- Collective bargaining and labor relations: Excellent
- Restructuring, redundancy plans and related litigation: Excellent
- Risky litigation and criminal labor law: Excellent
- Social management of M&A and social audits: Excellent
- Representation of executives : Renowned practice
- Mobility & Expatriation: Reputable practice
- Health, social security & optimization : Strong reputation
- Complementary social protection: Highly regarded
- Collective and individual remuneration: Reputed practice